Sunday, January 16, 2011

I'm Sensing a Pattern, Here

The past two days have been an exercise in restraint as the dreaded PMS monster has reared its' ugly head yet again and, after reviewing past posts to this blog; I realize that my cycle follows a very specific schedule:

Ten to twelve days of saint-like adherence to a healthy and sugar-free diet, complete with enough energy to exercise daily and decent amounts of sleep followed by twelve to fourteen days of wicked sugar cravings, fatigue, a distinct non-desire to move my body, physically and, a need for frequent napping.

Clearly, my thyroid has nothing to do with it nor does my diet impact it in the slightest; PMS is simply my biggest nemesis.

So, what to do? For one, I'm going to make an extra concerted effort to refrain from giving in to the temptation to dive head-first into a vat of chocolate. This will be no easy task.

Secondly, I'm going to make more of an effort to exercise, particularly on the days that I really, really don't want to (days like yesterday when, after finally psyching myself up to head to the gym to complete week two of the C25K program, I found the gym locked and the fingerprint reader unable to identify my finger. Goddamnit).

Thirdly, I'm going to make an effort to really identify what my cravings are telling me at any given point; am I hungry or am I just tired? Do I need chocolate or a session of yoga to get the endorphins flowing?

Finally, I am going to up my calories during the first week that I begin to notice the symptoms of PMS. I'm going to add in more lean protein and fiber. I'm guessing an addition two to three hundred calories a day should do the trick.

And, with any luck, merely being cognizant of the issues going on in my body will help me to combat the less pleasant side effects of being a woman.

Fingers crossed, naturally.

No comments:

Post a Comment